Friday, February 16, 2007

Costa Rica: Disability Rights Exchange Program

This week I have been working on my application to Mobility International USA’s Costa Rica Exchange. Mobility International USA is an organization that enables people to travel around the world to learn about disability rights at an international level. If I get accepted on this 16 day adventure to Costa Rica, I would be a part of a group of 12 that would travel to Costa Rica. We would learn about disability rights, stay with a host family, attend disability workshops, work on a volunteer project, and explore Costa Rica. This sounds like a wonderful opportunity for me and I'm very excited. Hopefully, I'll get accepted. I'll find out at the beginning of April.

Although I am excited about the possibility of this adventure, there's a part of me that's very nervous. This would be the first time in my life I would be away from my parents for an extended period of time. I've started the process of looking for a caregiver. I want to find just the right person to accompany me to Costa Rica.

To learn more about Mobility International USA and all their programs, visit their website.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How exciting David! Costa Rico is on my list of "things to see and do". In fact I keep telling Steve it's where I'd like to retire. Good luck with your application!

Anonymous said...

I think it's terrific!! I got your e-mail about looking for a caregiver. I can't think of anyone, but will keep my eyes open!

It takes a lot of guts to even consider this, kid!! Good for you! Pushing that comfort zone is quite an experience; ya know, when you can feel it in the pit of your stomach!! :)

xoxo, Lee

Anonymous said...

Found your blog linked from a diary on dailyKos. Having found it, I'm sure I'll be back.

Thanks for writing, and good luck with the exchange program--it sounds both a little scary and hugely rewarding!

Jennifer Newell said...

Good luck! :)