Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Disability as Culture

Check out Cross-Cultural Communiques from Andrea’s Buzzing About. When I was writing an essay about my educational experiences for my English class, I noted the tremendous difficulty that able-bodied people had in understanding my experiences when they were so different than their own. Andrea broadens the discussion to look at cross-cultural relationships. She shares a list by an unknown author designed to address "…the assumptions we mentally trip over when working with people from other national, religious or ethnic cultures." Andrea notes, "I rather doubt that the author(s) considered how broad the cultural spectrum can be."

The first one on the list is "What seems to be logical, sensible, important, and reasonable to a person in one culture may seem stupid, irrational, and unimportant to an outsider." All twelve make you think.

No comments: