Sunday, June 24, 2007

Update from June 22

viernes

The wheelchair would not fit in to the taxi easily. It took Ryan and I some problem solving. Annie, the personal assistant and sister of one of our group leaders, and Minor, a taxi driver spent two hours with us, translating and thinking through how to fit into the taxi. Finally we figured out a way to make it work.

Today I met my host family. They are incredibly kind. The mother's sister, who lives next door, came over to welcome us with the primary family. My host dad is a quadriplegic. My host parents have a seven year old daughter. I was overwhelmed by my host family's desire to make Ryan and me feel welcome. They are warm and beautiful people. And I look forward to getting to know them in the coming days ahead. They said they'd been hosting people with disabilities from MIUSA for 15 years.

No comments: