Thursday, November 16, 2006

“I ran into God.”

More with Meredith...


When Meredith was a little girl she was hit by a car.
“I ran into God when I was in my coma. I was in a coma for six long weeks. And,while I was in the coma, I had an out of body experience. Yeah, I died.”
Meredith struggles to find the right language to describe an experience that cannot easily be put into words. She continues with both excitement and awe to tell this story that happened 15 years ago, but she remembers like it were yesterday.
"This was like … I wasn't a person … and I couldn't…see or feel my body.”

“I didn't have my body. It was my soul that did this journey.”

A calmness comes over Meredith as she carefully continues. Her voice becomes quiet as she describes the tunnel she is moving through.
“…imagine going up a circular tunnel that kind of curves to the left and then straightens out…it was like a tunnel curving and going up at the same time.”

At the top of the tunnel,
“…it's just the brightest whiteness ever, like Mr. Clean couldn't get a millionth of the way there,” Meredith chuckles.

Then,
“A golden bright light … said in a very deep man's voice, (she imitates a rich full bass voice) ‘Go back! It is not your turn.’”


“And that was my conversation with God,” Meredith concludes.


She talks about trying to grasp the meaning of this experience.
“In second grade in occupational therapy, I kept drawing these pictures of circles within circles within circles, like a nesting of circles, and at first I didn’t realize what I was drawing but then it eventually dawned on me, ‘Oh! So,that’s what that was!’”

Meredith also tells of a Sunday school experience,


“The teacher said, ‘no one knows what God looks like.’ And of course my little hand shot up, ‘I do! I do!’”

Over the years, Meredith has met several people who have also had near-death experiences. They describe a similar tunnel, light and experience with God. For Meredith, her near-death experience has been faith affirming.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

During the past 30 years, near-death experiences have been the focus of many scientific studies at universities and medical centers throughout the U.S. and around the world. You can read about it on the website of the International Association for Near-Death Studies at www.iands.org In particular, you might want to check under the Research tab for published papers outlining new findings from the most current research.

I recently attended a 4 day conference on NDEs at the University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston that reviewed in detail 30 years of research on NDEs. Audio files and DVDs of the presentations should be available soon on the website above. Allen

David said...

Thanks Allen.
Very interesting organization. I'll send it Meredith.

David