Thursday, June 14, 2007

Carnival Day!


The theme of Carnival #16 is "Borders", and it's up now over at Pilgrim Girl. Jana starts by sharing a recent experience in her own life.


"A few months ago I was engaging in an online debate with some TAB friends who argued that the routinized abortion of fetuses with disabilities or genetic abnormalities should be encouraged. As I expressed opposition to their ideas, my well-reasoned arguments were soon abandoned.
'Are you saying that I should have been aborted?" I asked. 'That society would be better off without me?'


One of them responded: 'Well, not you of course. I never think of you as disabled. You are just Jana.'"




Jana reflects on this experience and her realization of "just how flexible the borders of disability are--the categories of 'normal' and 'disabled' bending and flexing to both include and exclude."


I haven't had a chance yet to check out the many links, but it looks like there's a fascinating collection, organized by Jana into these categories: Borders in Public Spaces, Defining the Borders of Disability, and Physical Borders. I look forward to some very interesting reading!

No comments: