Thursday, April 26, 2007

Disappointing news and exciting news on the same day

Yesterday, I found out that I was chosen as an alternate for MIUSA’s Costa Rican Exchange. If a spot opens up, they'll call me. I’m disappointed. I would have loved to have gone. It sounds like a wonderful experience.

I had some good news yesterday, too. I won the Markeeta award, an award presented to an Illinois youth for social justice and disability advocacy. Thanks to Tara Dunning from the Statewide Independent Living Council and Meredith Hill for nominating me. My interest in advocacy took off when I attended the Illinois Youth with Disabilities Leadership Summit in 2003. I’ve since gone each summer as a participant and as a peer mentor. The Summit is a great way for young people with disabilities to meet each other, meet interesting adults, and learn about advocacy and leadership. If you know an Illinois youth who might be interested, applications for this year’s summit are due May 18.

4 comments:

Penny L. Richards said...

Congratulations on the Markeeta Award! Sounds like they selected the winner wisely and well.

And about MIUSA--hey, there's a reason they choose alternates. Be prepared, it could still happen.

Michelle said...

I agree w/the above commenter about there being a reason for alternates - still keeping my fingers crossed!

Congrats on the Markeeta Award - what an honor that sounds like it must be!

Ruth said...

David- my congratulations on your award! It's a great recognition of all your hard work writing, mentoring others and your commitment to positive change. Maybe the spot on the trip will open up...

David said...

Thanks so much for your kind words, Penny, Michelle, and Ruth.